A Comprehensive Guide to Ovarian Cancer Prevention and Protective Measures
Ovarian cancer is a serious health concern for women, and understanding the risk factors and prevention methods can significantly impact early detection and successful treatment.
In this blog, Dr. Nilesh Chordiya our cancer surgeon from Specialty Surgical Oncology Hospital and Research Center, shares insights on how to prevent ovarian cancer.
Risk Factors for Ovarian Cancer
- Genetics: A family history of breast, ovarian, or uterine cancer increases the likelihood of carrying BRCA gene mutations, which are associated with a higher risk of developing ovarian cancer.
- Lynch Syndrome: This hereditary condition, also known as hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer (HNPCC), increases the risk of several types of cancer, including ovarian and endometrial cancers.
Prevention and Protective Measures
- Prophylactic Salpingo-Oophorectomy: Women with BRCA gene mutations can consider undergoing preventive removal of ovaries and fallopian tubes to decrease the risk of developing ovarian cancer.
- Tubal Ligation and Hysterectomy: Women who undergo tubal ligation or hysterectomy with removal of both ovaries have a lower incidence of ovarian cancer.
- Genetic Counseling: For those with a family history of cancer, genetic counseling and identifying mutations can help determine appropriate preventive treatments.
- Breastfeeding: Breastfeeding for more than a year has been shown to substantially decrease the risk of ovarian cancer.
- Pregnancy: Pregnancy itself is considered a protective factor against ovarian cancer.
- Oral Contraceptive Pills: Using oral contraceptive pills containing both estrogen and progesterone for at least five years can reduce the risk of ovarian cancer. However, avoid pills containing only estrogen, as they may increase the risk.
- Smoking Cessation: Avoiding smoking is an important factor in reducing the risk of ovarian cancer.
- Avoiding Talcum Powder: Refraining from using talcum powder in the private area can help decrease the incidence of ovarian cancer.
Understanding the risk factors and taking preventive measures are crucial in reducing the risk of ovarian cancer. If you have any concerns about ovarian cancer prevention or need more information, do not hesitate to reach out to an Ovarian Surgeon.
By adopting a proactive approach to ovarian cancer prevention, you can significantly impact your long-term health and well-being.
Dr. Nilesh is a renowned surgeon/ consultant practicing infinity media surge hospital, and Navkaar cancer clinic Mumbai and he is also visiting consultant at various hospitals in Mumbai, Thane, Dombivali, Kalyan, Navi Mumbai etc. With over 10+years of experience, he is highly trained and specialized in performing cancer surgery procedures from simplest to the most complicated surgeries.